Today I’m going to blog about the chair that has been the bane of my existence for the last… mmm… 5? months. (I’m only being a little dramatic here).
But first! My canon arrived home safe & sound and completely repaired. Turns out it had somehow caught a virus, which is good news to yours truly because it meant that the repair was FREE. Boo yah!
So, of course you are going to get a gratuitous dog photo because I know you haven’t seen enough of them lately. And yes, Jezzie is totally laying ON Barley, with her paws wrapped around his neck. She’s like, “what?” and he’s like, “why did you do this to me? we were such a happy one-dog family…” The dogs have been quite exhausted lately, probably because warmer temperatures (40s!) brought exposed dirt & leaves to dig in & all sorts of ground squirrels and chipmunks to terrorize.
The warmer weather has been great for getting out and walking, something I really need to do more often than I have been. It also has me daydreaming about all sorts of awesome yard-type things that we can build for Rico in the upcoming years… things like playhouses and outdoor playsets…
Clearly I am getting ahead of myself here, though.
Especially since it’s taken me like 5 months to recover a singe chair. Presumably building Rico a little playhouse in the woods would be a bit more complicated.
We picked up this guy from J’s parents last time we were visiting. I guess it was his grandmother’s chair & had been sitting in their storage garage for a while. (Jason refers to my storage space in our garage as the hoarding garage, but apparently when his parents are doing the storing-of-things in the garage, it’s called a storage garage. Just FYI.)
3 yards of $5/yd clearance fabric + $5 worth of rope + 5 months of my life and a gazillion staples = the after:
It fits pretty wonderfully in the corner of the office, and while it’s definitely not perfect, it’s certainly not bad for my first attempt. (I am going to stick to recovering more geometrically-square pieces from here on out… the curves were not my fav).
My process? 1) Rip off the old upholstery & millions of staples (saving the old fabric to use as templates for when I needed to cut the new fabric & making note of the order each layer came off in). 2) Let chair sit on the porch for 3 months. 3) Bring chair into living room, begin work on chair, stapling new fabric to the last-removed area (the seat) first & working backwards from there. Slowly. As in, this thing has been sitting in my living room unfinished for the last 2 months. 4) Decide rope is the fastest way to cover the visible staples at the edges of the chair – the chair originally had piping covering the staples, but I went for a different (read: easier) approach. Hot glue said rope to chair.
Yep, I totally hot glued that rope onto the chair. I’m sure this isn’t a professional upholstering technique, but the chair is DONE and looks presentable, so I’m calling it a win. (And not in the Charlie Sheen sense. Although I would love some fiery hands of awesomeness.)
The back is just the teeniest bit wrinkly in some parts, which would be enough to drive me crazy (because I am a perfectionist), but I’m tucking the chair into a corner of the office, where I will never ever see the wrinkliness, so I’m taking a deep breath and letting it go.
Now we’re on the lookout for a little ottoman or something to pop our feet up on while we read in our little office reading nook. We’ve added some other new pictures & a lamp to the office, so I’ll have to get ‘er all cleaned up & presentable to show you…