banker’s chair makeover
(alternately titled: holy crap! I finally finished this project!)
A while ago, like 2 years-ish, we were living in Minneapolis, scraping wallpaper off the walls of what was going to be our office, and I was scouring craigslist for the *perfect* bankers chair & desk. And this is what I found:
Not quite, *perfect*, but for $15, I decided it was close enough to at least try to do something with. And then the chair sat in the basement for a good 4 months while I decided whether to paint or stain it.
In the end, I figured I’d strip & restain it. After all, if I didn’t like it, it would be easier to paint over stain than it would be to strip the paint and stain the chair.
I took apart the entire chair, removed the stain from the wood, then re-stained and polyurethaned the chair (and, yes, that is polyurethane in verb form right there.). The metal bits were boiled in water and baking soda, soaked in vinegar, scrubbed with a wire brush, and then paint black. (More on how I did this is here).
And then… she sat like that for over a year. No seat. Just hanging out in our office. The original caned seat was totally broken beyond repair… even if I did know how to cane, which I don’t.
The movers moved her seatless (and then looked at me like I was a little nuts for wanting a seatless chair in the office).
Instead of trying to re-cane the seat, I got Jason to cut out a piece of wood that would fit in the insert where the seat was. Awesomely, we happened to have a sturdy board that was the right thickness just hanging out in the house. I also already had batting left over from a baby quilt that I made. I ordered a print from Joel Dewberry (PS LOVE his fabrics) from Fabric.com for like $4/yard on super-clearance.
I covered the board in batting, then covered it in my fabric. And the end result rocks my socks off. Seriously.
I love it so much. And, I think the best part of the whole deal might be that the cost for the chair was $19 – $15 for the chair, $4 for the fabric, and I had everything else (stain, etc) left over from other projects. I can’t believe I waited nearly 2 years to finish her!